Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Clogau Quarry

Go down 
+8
Tink
Squirrel
Joolybee
Andy K
Ian G
sheelagh
Sammy
Pappa Smudge
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Pappa Smudge
Admin
Pappa Smudge

Humor : still looking

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Empty
PostSubject: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 5:57 pm

First topic message reminder :

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Drunken_smilie Thank you to my buddy, Andy K for giving me a hand.

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Dscf6310

MORE PICTURES ARE BEEN UPLOADED, but i'm having problems with the computer!

please come back later to find out more Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_tongue

Last edited by Pappa Smudge on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Sammy

Sammy

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 6:04 pm

Where did u go Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_question Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_question Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_question
Back to top Go down
sheelagh
Dive Master & AMED
sheelagh

PostSubject: secret mission   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 8:10 pm

Were you checking the depth of the NEW BLUE LAGOON?
Back to top Go down
Pappa Smudge
Admin
Pappa Smudge

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:06 pm

OK so here we go.....

The Blue Lagoon was todays little excursion. Our first job was to investigate the area, have a good look round and find out what the site was about.

The water is at the bottom of a huge quarried hole. I took to the south edge of the quarry, some 130m above the water, along a sheer wall. Andy and Abbi took the easyier route to the waters edge. After a good look round at the site we headed back to the van. Next was lunch at the cafe opposite where we parked. Good food and it even as a gift shop!

After lunch we geared up and walked into the quarry. Now I think a twin set was a bit much for a walk and climb! but never the less we made it. Next we descended into the cold very clear water. With viz of over 20m and a beatiful colour of blue, this site was worth exploring. A max depth of just over 13m was recorded during our 40min dive. The bottom, though slate, it does have a fine silt which can easily be disturbed.

After a good walk and climb back to the van, the rains came... but we we're ready to depart for home.
Back to top Go down
Pappa Smudge
Admin
Pappa Smudge

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:17 pm

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 4kty6uClogau Quarry - Page 1 28hg2o8Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Ay2ced
Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Ir3zb6Clogau Quarry - Page 1 2885jd5Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Nvd11x
Clogau Quarry - Page 1 NltouwClogau Quarry - Page 1 4h6vk9
Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Adcd41Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Axnu46Clogau Quarry - Page 1 24oy5a1Clogau Quarry - Page 1 27xl1tx
Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Hx68ufClogau Quarry - Page 1 24dh1zkClogau Quarry - Page 1 2eexz07
Clogau Quarry - Page 1 2ldkgi8Clogau Quarry - Page 1 8wdw7tClogau Quarry - Page 1 Wvsaok
Back to top Go down
Ian G
Rescue Diver
Ian G

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2009 9:46 pm

20m viz in the UK - that is something. So the write-up in the book was right then. Sounds like it was a worthwhile trip. Look forward to diving it. Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_bounce Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_bounce Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_bounce
Back to top Go down
Andy K
Dive Master
Andy K

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 1:15 am

Viz unbelievable guys Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Affraid .The hike is like an Army excercise(with stops) but viz worth the trek. Unfortunately my camera had developed a "card error" when we hit the water so no pics from me!!! Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Kopfschuettel .
Worth the travelling of 1hr 40, which is only the same as capers. But stamina is required by the cart load, if walking from the road. Only 100 bar used on a 40 min dive (12ltr).
Back to top Go down
http://kefalonianvillarentals.co.uk
Pappa Smudge
Admin
Pappa Smudge

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 10:22 am

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_tongue mine worked OK, are yes this was yours...
Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Dscf6311

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_rolleyes in the cafe there was a few pictures of the quarry - the on the wall showing the Blue lagoon was interesting - any tell me why (and not you Mr K)
Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Dscf6210

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_evil and not forgetting the gift shop
Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Dscf6211

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_biggrin here is the site taken as a montage - see if you can spot Andy and Abbi. You can see the viz is clear at over 100m above the water. Some of the cars can be seen at the left end of the lake.
Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Pan_0110
Back to top Go down
Joolybee

Joolybee

Humor : I laugh every time I look in the mirror!!!

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:21 am

It's back to front!!! Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Lol
Back to top Go down
Pappa Smudge
Admin
Pappa Smudge

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 11:45 am

Well done - go to the top of the class Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_smile
Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Trophy10
Back to top Go down
Joolybee

Joolybee

Humor : I laugh every time I look in the mirror!!!

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks Pa!! I was never near the top of the class when I was at skool!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Squirrel
Instructor
Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 3:21 pm

Shirley it's just taken from a diffrent angle???
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfatpie.co.uk
Pappa Smudge
Admin
Pappa Smudge

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 3:28 pm

nope it defo the wrong way round Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Suspect

I noticed straight away. I thought i'd roughly taken from the same position.

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Dscf6212 Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Dscf6213

now lets do a reverse with mine...

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Dscf6214

so conclusive that the picture is in reverse, taken from the other end of the quarry!
Back to top Go down
Pappa Smudge
Admin
Pappa Smudge

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 3:34 pm

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_study

Because of the confusion in names this site is going to be known as:

Clogau Quarry

'This is only the ProScuba name'

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_scratch

The reason behind the name, is there is already a Blue Lagoon and a Blue Pool. This quarry site is is now called Berwyn Slate Quarry, a business that still produces slate products. The orginal name for the quarry was 'Clogau Quarry, and seemed to date back to 1690. From my active caving days in this area, this was the area of GOLD, and clogau gold is still found in the local rivers.. so we may be lucky and find some in our new watery place.

Last edited by Pappa Smudge on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:31 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : change of name)
Back to top Go down
Squirrel
Instructor
Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 4:28 pm

your'e picture is taken from the wrong end of the lake, same side diffrent end!
Back to top Go down
Squirrel
Instructor
Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Dscf6211
Taken from white spot, looking down the quarry
Back to top Go down
Squirrel
Instructor
Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 4:36 pm

Then due to the nature of old cameras and lenses and stuff, it appears as a mirror image. But back in the day this was the right way round, if ya follow my drift.
Back to top Go down
Tink

Tink

Humor : Do I have to have one???

PostSubject: Uhhhh   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 4:44 pm

Uhhhh??????????????????????????????

Is this a young peolpe thing Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_tongue
Back to top Go down
Pappa Smudge
Admin
Pappa Smudge

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 5:21 pm

Pappa Smudge wrote:
nope it defo the wrong way round Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Suspect

I noticed straight away. I thought i'd roughly taken from the same position.

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Dscf6212 Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Dscf6213

now lets do a reverse with mine...

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Dscf6214

so conclusive that the picture is in reverse, taken from the other end of the quarry!

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_scratch Thats what I said!!!

and i'd say it was just a printers error Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_tongue
Back to top Go down
Pappa Smudge
Admin
Pappa Smudge

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 5:23 pm

hang on - i did take one from the other end Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_biggrin

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Dscf6215

and here is the cafe one reversed....

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Dscf6216
Back to top Go down
Rob
MSDT
Rob

PostSubject: Blue Hole   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 5:53 pm

Which ever way the chuffing picture goes it looks like an interesting dive !! Thats if you don't pop your clogs walking up the mountain to get to it !!

With a depth of 11 - 12m I suggest single 7 coupled to a light weight BC, that should get you a 30 - 40 minute dive !

Killa could always use a single pony and do an hour !

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_bounce Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_bounce Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_bounce
Back to top Go down
killa
MSDT
killa

Humor : Never upset a ginna!!!!

PostSubject: Re: Secret Mission Complete   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 6:27 pm

Only 1 hour on a pony. Does that include using it whilst walking to the site!!!!! Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_razz Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_razz Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
Pappa Smudge
Admin
Pappa Smudge

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 6:32 pm

Pappa Smudge wrote:
Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_study

Because of the confusion in names this site is going to be known as:

Clogau Quarry

'This is only the ProScuba name'

Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_scratch

The reason behind the name, is there is already a Blue Lagoon and a Blue Pool. This quarry site is is now called Berwyn Slate Quarry, a business that still produces slate products. The orginal name for the quarry was 'Clogau Quarry, and seemed to date back to 1690. From my active caving days in this area, this was the area of GOLD, and clogau gold is still found in the local rivers.. so we may be lucky and find some in our new watery place.
Back to top Go down
Andy K
Dive Master
Andy K

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 10:03 pm

OH C##P I HOPE THAT WASNT WHAT I THREW AWAY???!!! Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Affraid Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Affraid Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Affraid Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Affraid .DONT TELL THEM WHERE IT IS SMUDGE WILL PICK U UP IN TEN MINUTES Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Andy K
Dive Master
Andy K

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 10:07 pm

Re the walk to the site Killa I would recommend 100% O2 with an intraveinous adrenalin injection.ITS A RIGHT HIKE.

Fondly christened SCUBA CLIMBING!! Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_cheers Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_cheers Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
jason_242
Instructor
jason_242

Humor : Has its ups and downs...

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 EmptyWed Nov 18, 2009 10:16 pm

Hey Andy I cant believe you've done another camera in DOH Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Affraid
Looks a good site would have loved to have come but guess what we are busy at work yipee so will venture that way on another day Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clogau Quarry   Clogau Quarry - Page 1 Empty

Back to top Go down

Clogau Quarry
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next