Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend

Go down 
+6
killa
big rich
Tink
Squirrel
moose
Pappa Smudge
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Pappa Smudge
Admin
Pappa Smudge

Humor : still looking

St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend Empty
PostSubject: St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend   St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 11:44 am

St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend Camera10St Abbs - Photo 'Splash In' 2009
August Bank Holiday Weekend
St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend Panorm10

sunny You couldn't have asked for better conditions for this years St Abbs weekend. The sun was out, the sea was like a millpond and the tides were just perfect! The only thing I was missing was my SLR CAMERA - My life spoilt yet again because of the person that cannot be named :silent:

:?: What is a 'Splash In' - well this is a underwater photo competition held over one day. Everyone entering as to take pictures within the geograhical area of the event on the same day! Then once you have taken your images you then submit 3 for judging. The St Abbs competition is judged on the Sunday by the general public.
:star: You have 3 catorgaries to enter: Marine Life Portrait, Reserve Atmospheric, Most Humorus.

So here the three I entered this year - Then below then are some more general ones from the same dives.

St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl10 St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl12 St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl11

Rolling Eyes These were not the best images i've taken (would blame the tools, but I blame someone else!!). When the pictures are 15 foot high on a screen they still do look quite good, but so do everyone elses. This year their were 38 entrants in the competition. The hall were the the judging could only accomodate 110 people, which is going to addressed by Squirel and the ProScuba tech team next year Razz ! Voting was with the usual bias to those have more people in the room. Crying or Very sad So this year I didn't win anything - but i did appear in the best beginner winning shot tongue so at least i'm an award winning model now bounce

I love you A big thank you to My my buddy Squirrel and to the back up team of Emma. I'm sure they will post some nice pictures, especially from my unfortunate misshap with a rock pale

Last edited by Pappa Smudge on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Pappa Smudge
Admin
Pappa Smudge

PostSubject: Re: St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend   St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 12:30 pm

Sleep So here a the rest of the images from the 4 dives I made over the weekend. Very Happy

St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl61St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl60St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl59St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl58St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl57St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl56St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl55St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl54St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl53St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl52St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl51St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl50St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl49St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl48St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl47St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl46St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl45St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl44St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl43St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl42St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl41St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl40St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl39St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl38St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl37St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl36St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl35St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl34St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl33St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl32
St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl31St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl30St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl29St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl28St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl27St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl26St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl25St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl24St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl23St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl22St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl13St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl20St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl21St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl19St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl18St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl14
St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl17St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl16St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend St_spl15
drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken drunken

Back to top Go down
moose

moose

PostSubject: Re: St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend   St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 4:20 pm

St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend Img_0110St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend Img_0210St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend Img_0010
fab ice cream!!!! smudge had a fight with a rock!!! and this is what the boys did to the weather when they got the kites out!
Back to top Go down
Squirrel
Instructor
Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend   St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 4:30 pm

St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend Dscf2013St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend Dscf2012St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend Dscf2014]St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend Dscf2011[/url]St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend Dscf2110]St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend Dscf1911[/url]
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfatpie.co.uk
Squirrel
Instructor
Squirrel

PostSubject: Re: St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend   St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 4:37 pm

Fab weekend as normal.
But As normal a poor turnout by the gang yet again!!!!! I have no idea why people never turn out for this event from our lot, the few who go year in year out are now part of a big family of folk which dive this mecca every year. Next year we are providing technical support to the Marrine reserve, to help the local community, and divers a'like.
This year marked the 25th birthday of the marine reserve. So hopefully next year will be bigger and better, and a bit more supported by the Proscubca folk.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfatpie.co.uk
Pappa Smudge
Admin
Pappa Smudge

PostSubject: Re: St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend   St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 4:57 pm

here :cheers: here :cheers:

At st abbs there is always the same faces every year over the Bank holiday weekend. farao This year was no exception. The Buxton BSCAC dive possy were there over 30 of them!! There were divers from the South, South West, Manchester, Yorkshire and just about everywhere.

The North East of the UK attracts divers from all over the world. This part of the world is rich in marine life, offten more diverse than even tropical waters!

Then there are the ship wrecks.. in the last fives years this stretch of the coast to 30 miles out to sea as seen over 70 new wrecks found!!! including 4 german u-boats.

How can we ignore all this..
Back to top Go down
Tink

Tink

Humor : Do I have to have one???

PostSubject: Yes where were you all   St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 8:39 am

Again, I agree with the Squirrel - where were you all.

Agne and meself didn't go up for the splash-in but went up on Sunday for a dive. Very Happy A big thank you to Smudge and Squirrel for leading us to Cathedral Rock. For those who have never been (that'll be most of you), this is one of the best dives in the UK. A nice steady dive with 14.5m max. The arch is a double arch covered in anenomes and sponges. We were met by the usual group of Ballen Wrasse. The was also a good sized group of Pollock. Some stunning wildlife, although, the Ballen Warasse do become a pest when you are trying to take photos of other fish and stuff. :!:

It is a long way to go but the dives are worth it. If enough are up for it next year it might be worth looking at doing a boat dive.

For all you new divers, especially those who have the dry-suit training this really is a must for next year.
Back to top Go down
big rich
Advanced Open Water
big rich

PostSubject: Re: St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend   St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 6:13 pm

we was at anglesea
Back to top Go down
killa
MSDT
killa

Humor : Never upset a ginna!!!!

PostSubject: Re: St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend   St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend EmptyTue Sep 01, 2009 9:21 pm

We would all like to have been there but bank hols are spent with the family and other non diving activites as well!!!
I have'nt been in the water for over 3 weeks but work and other things get in the way.

keep putting on trips away and i will try and get out before my next hols in October Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
hob nobby

hob nobby

Humor : the sillier the better - when will i eva grow up

PostSubject: Re: St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend   St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 3:28 pm

OOOOH you make me feel so bad. Sad

We wanted to come too, but its really dificult with kids or dogs even.

I did enquire about what you did about accom and costs etc, but no one responded! Sad

Theres no way all four of us can sleep in the car, so we need a campsite; and even if St Abbs is not suitable for kids i still need enough notice to be able to find someone who will have them for a weekend.

Its not fair to farm them off all the time and they are really interested in the diving so we are trying to make as many family diving weekends as posible untill the tadettes can get wet too.

Hope you understand.

So here is a thought.....................

Why not next year let us all get organised and get a campsite booked really early, Im happy to help out with the organisation, sort out car sharing and blow out the friday night pool for one week so we can get up on the friday, get settled and have an absolute scream with tic toc dancing naked round the tents!!!! or rich modeling the pink bikini!!!!

If we make it more than just diving some of the non divivng partners may come along to which is always more people to shout for proscuba at the voting! And it will allow us to cook from a tent or caravan, not have to pay out for prepared meals and stuff!
Back to top Go down
Joolybee

Joolybee

Humor : I laugh every time I look in the mirror!!!

PostSubject: Re: St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend   St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 3:52 pm

I am up for that, I enjoy camping so the idea of booking and going up in the Friday seems like a good plan. I would hopefully be up to a standard that I could dive next year but even if not I would still go for the laugh!!!!
Back to top Go down
tic toc
Advanced Open Water
tic toc

PostSubject: next yrs st abbs trip   St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 4:01 pm

hear hear

Thank you emma at last someone understands those with children DO want to DIVE, but need to consider their taddetts or loved ones (other halfs) who dont dive.

Yes lets get organised for next years splash in , and prepare NOW then we will ALL be there to support proscuba and have a really memorable time for all divers and those who dont yet dive . Remeber the taddets are the future frogetts .

flower bounce
Back to top Go down
Pappa Smudge
Admin
Pappa Smudge

PostSubject: Re: St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend   St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 5:30 pm

We used to camp up at St Abbs - thier is a holiday camp (Scoutcroft) which used to allow camping.. but unfortunatley idiots were using the camp site and getting drunk and causing trouble.

For a popular tourist family holday area, there is no longer any site alowing camping within close proxcimity.

Scoutcroft is still usable, they have statics for hire and holiday chalets. Theres plenty for people to around the area. The beach at 5 mins away is ideal for surfing and playing on. There are several play areas for kidz.

Over the weekend me, andy and emma did diving, kite flying, archery and some beautiful walking. You are only 50 mins from Edinburgh too.
Back to top Go down
jayne65
Instructor
jayne65

PostSubject: Re: St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend   St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend EmptyWed Sep 02, 2009 7:14 pm

I'm in a simular situation to those with kidz in that I live on my own with 2 dogs. I dont like to leave them in the house all day on their own and I too dont like taking advantage of others to dog sit! Bringing them with me is not always an option due to the thought of leaving them in the car when I'm in the water and one of them being too old to keep up with the pace.

Albeit, it sounds like we have a plan for next year then! Very Happy
I dont mind helping to organise too. Lex x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend   St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend Empty

Back to top Go down

St Abbs - 'Splash In' Weekend
Page 1 of 1