Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Scapa.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cragh321

cragh321

Humor : patches are always an option.

Scapa.  Empty
PostSubject: Scapa.    Scapa.  EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 5:37 pm

First two dives done on my very first trip to scapa. Two cruisers the first being the coln at 36m to the seabed and 20m to the deck. One of the best preserved of all the wrecks a huge amount of fish life on her amd lots of detail despite being underwater for almost 100 years. Second dive was again a cruiser this time the Karlsruhe a lot more broken up due to salvage works in the 60s. The viz was a lot better on her and her two anchor capstan stood very proud from the deck. Due to the seabed being only 26m here got to spend a lot more time on her. Two of her 13 inch guns are very clear here and the breaches for both are amazing with a very clear bit of brass showing a German inscription. Again the fish life was awesome with a huge ling hanging around and some very nice blue peacock wrasse which look almost radioactive. A fantastic first day on the fleet looking forward to some destroyers tomorrow. Will try and post some pics very soon.
Back to top Go down
Wakey Lad
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
Wakey Lad

Scapa.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scapa.    Scapa.  EmptyMon Jun 30, 2014 1:27 pm

Sounds bang on !!! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
cragh321

cragh321

Humor : patches are always an option.

Scapa.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scapa.    Scapa.  EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 6:48 pm

Well four more dives out of the way this place is incredible. The vast size of the battleships the markgraf, the minesweeper the brummer are just awe inspiring. A week is a long time to be diving them but not long enough to appreciate them. Although the salvage work on them as created a lot of damage just swimming alongside these beautiful ships gives you an idea of the ferocity of war. The 15 inch cannon could fire a car size projectile around ten miles when you take into account that the battleships had tenof these guns you realise how terrifying it must have been for the guys and gals at the receiving end. A visit to the museum today where a lot of salvaged parts are on display brought home what we are seeing under the waves. It also gave a somber reminder of the sacrifice made by our forefathers in both world wars and that altough this is one of the top ten dive sites in Europe it is also a graveyard for men lost on ships such as the royal oak and the Hampshire. While I enjoy the rest of my holiday here I will spare a thought for the men English and German who payed the ultimate sacrifice for their countries.
Back to top Go down
Wakey Lad
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
Wakey Lad

Scapa.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scapa.    Scapa.  EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 9:16 am

Really enjoyed reading that Craig..!!
Back to top Go down
Rob
MSDT
Rob

Scapa.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scapa.    Scapa.  EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 11:59 pm

Well written Craig. Sounds awesome and one place I intend to dive in the next year or two one I'm finished in New Zealand. 

Good to meet you & Ivan over the weekend.

bounce  bounce  bounce  bounce

Last edited by Rob on Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Andy W

Humor : And All Of That !!!!

Scapa.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scapa.    Scapa.  EmptyMon Jul 07, 2014 9:43 am

Scapa.  222826  Scapa.  222826  Scapa.  246400  Scapa.  246400
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Scapa.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scapa.    Scapa.  Empty