View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Pappa Smudge
Admin

Humor : still looking

PostSubject: Buxton Water :-)   Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

Today James and investigated a dissused quarry on the outskirts of Buxton.

The site is abandoned at present, though I do know an approved planning application a year or so ago was made to turn it into a dive site. The flooded pit is about the same surface area as dotty.

We did three dives to explore only a small part of the quarry. We parked right up to the easy entry point (like 5 ft away) Smile When you first drop in, the water is very clear. The water temp up to 10m is 15degrees. At twenty metres the temp droped to a chilly 9degrees!

The dives were very interesting, with plenty of underwater trees to explore around. I'm on with a basic map, which I should be able to get on Friday.

After our dives I hit the Kayak to plumb the other side of the quarry. It would seem the max depth here is about 40m Very Happy - this is a site that needs diving and mapping. PLENTY to explore and close to home!
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Pappa Smudge
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Buxton Water :-)   Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:51 pm

top of quarry 343m .............................water edge 323m
Back to top Go down
SpongebobPeterpants
PADI Assistant Instructor

Humor : Dum spiro spero

PostSubject: Re: Buxton Water :-)   Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:10 pm

Yes Geoff Dori amd Myself are heading that way next weekend........Don't have a post code but found the road name water swallows and think the sat nav will drop me in the right area. Maybe we can meet some where Papa like Dorry dives........
Maybe there is a local Tesco or the like.
Just over the 1000ft mark nice. What is the run back like?
The Picture Look great Steve any from below the water?
Back to top Go down
http://www.protier.co.uk
SpongebobPeterpants

PostSubject: Re: Buxton Water :-)   Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:31 am

Bit more for ya......

WaterSwallows
Back to top Go down
apickersgill

PostSubject: Re: Buxton Water :-)   Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:48 pm

Sponsored by
Quarry's future is in diving
Published on Tuesday 25 September 2007 15:32

PLANS to turn a redundant quarry into a diving centre have been given the go ahead by High Peak Borough council.

The plans, for the former Waterswallows Quarry, on Waterswallows Road in Buxton were given the green light by council planners at their meeting on Monday.
Adrian Fisher, head of planning and development with High Peak Borough council, told the meeting: "The quarry has been disused for several years. The site is classed as a site of special scientific interest for geological reasons.
"Where the quarrying was has exposed the face of the rock and that is of great importance to geologists.
"It shouldn't be affected by this development, however we are awaiting comments from Natural England.
"There has been some activity along these lines taking place already. It seems reasonable to formalise this."
Cllr Chris Pearson added: "I think it is a great idea. You have to travel all the way to Knutsford to do depth diving."
The proposals, which also include the construction of a timber jetty and boathouse and the creation of 17 car parking spaces, were approved by the council, subject to any comments from Natural England.

Back to top Go down
SkiesNPies

Humor : Mr Webb

PostSubject: Re: Buxton Water :-)   Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:51 pm

Who's this pickersgill fellah then eh ??

Shall I delete him as an imposter ? Razz Razz

Last edited by SkiesNPies on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SpongebobPeterpants

PostSubject: Re: Buxton Water :-)   Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Hello Mr P Very Happy Very Happy

Something on one of the geological sites

and the last one is the family that quarried there first. the Hughes brothers.
Back to top Go down
Ian G
Rescue Diver

PostSubject: Re: Buxton Water :-)   Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Planning permission granted nearly 4 years ago and still nothing done!!Wonder why?Could of course be something to do with the economy and lack of capital.Let's hope it stays like that a while longer, or else we'll have to start paying.Looking forward to diving this site, but as I've said before can't manage this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Buxton Water :-)   Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:50 pm

The geology of this quarry is very special.

This was basalt (dolerite) quarry which is basiclly volcanic lava. What is unique here is the slow cool process of the rock, causing fractures between the rock - one of the best well known, is the Giants causeway in Ireland.

Look at the picture and you can see the pillers of stone. This picture shows the easten edge of the now lake. The water level is above the rock feature base shown here.

The quarry was dug out for a need for hard road stone. Its seems the quarry was started about 1906.

This following picture is the quarry at clee hill, but it shows how the steps of the quarry work and how flat the bottom is, this is the same as it will be at Waterswallows.
Back to top Go down
http://proscuba.forumotion.com
Tink

Humor : Do I have to have one???

PostSubject: Re: Buxton Water :-)   Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:02 am

I konw the Clee Hill site well as I went to school near there
Back to top Go down
jason_242
Instructor

Humor : Has its ups and downs...

PostSubject: Re: Buxton Water :-)   Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:11 am

Did they have schools back then Tink I thought kids went straight into the workhouse in the olden days
Back to top Go down
Art

PostSubject: Re: Buxton Water :-)   Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:20 pm

Hi everyone,what is the visibility in this quarry ,what is interesting underwater,maybe somebody got underwater images
Back to top Go down
james
Sheep Master

PostSubject: Re: Buxton Water :-)   Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:20 am

Hi Art just a quick heads up that site is now paroled by mobile security and probably isn't worth the risk. The land owner has authorised one club to use it any other persons is currently actively getting prosecuted for trespass.
Back to top Go down
Pappa Smudge
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Buxton Water :-)   Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:00 pm

Yep this site is off limits to all divers - The owner is quite insistant on this. Like James says the site is regualy patroled by site security from the industrial site opposite.

It is a shame that no one can dive here. The water is very clear but very cold. Even in summer it was 5 degrees! The site is at altitude is is beyond the scope of most divers without the propper training. Most diver would not be insured should they use the site.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buxton Water :-)   

Back to top Go down

Buxton Water :-)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2