HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Stoney Navigation 14.11.10

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin

PostSubject: Stoney Navigation 14.11.10   Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:11 pm

Navigation @ Stoney Cove

Today was down to the Midlands to visit the granite quarry of Stoney Cove. As usual it was it very busy, but that never stopped us. The team today was Me, Jason, Tink, Ange, Tom, Sammy, Doc, Andy W, Jools, and a welcome return of JACK!

The plan today was to increase our knowledge of navigation. So today we ran a PADI Navigation Speciality!

So starting in the carpark with a compass workshop, we then headed off to the water to find new areas to explore. I had the 'A Team', Sammy and Tom, and Jason was buddied with Jools, Andy W and Doc together, then Tink, Ange and Jack.

Well after some great diving and exploration of the farthest reaches of the Quarry - I would like to congratulate 3 new PADI Underwater Navigators...
...- Doc - Andy W

The Galleon lies on a ledge in 5 metres of water in the furthest
south-eastern corner of Stoney Cove.

This wreck feature was constructed by the Midland Underwater Archaeological Group from 17th-century timbers salvaged
from a cottage in northamptonshire.
Tthere is even a canon and canon balls nearby. as a reproduction of an ancient wreck, it is remarkably convincing. It makes an ideal environment for training aspiring underwater archaeologists in the skills of sketching and recording finds.

Back to top Go down
http://proscuba.forumotion.com
Tink

Humor : Do I have to have one???

PostSubject: Now I see   Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:20 am

Now I see, or more accurately, now I understand why we couldn't see. Whilst you guys had the clear water and could take really clear photographs, Jools, Jason, Jack, Ange and myself were swimming through 'fog'. I guess that you clear navigation caused our foggy one. Not distrubing the site bed could be good. Do the people in the following groups get a better award - is this a different speciality (English version).
Back to top Go down
jason_242
Instructor

Humor : Has its ups and downs...

PostSubject: Re: Stoney Navigation 14.11.10   Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:57 am

I'm with you on this Tink I must admit the Vis is alot clearer in the photo's than it was when we arrived just after the afore mentioned group chin
Makes you wonder what they were upto "the A team stirrers" lol taunt2
Back to top Go down
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Stoney Navigation 14.11.10   Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:10 am

drunken The pictures of the Galleon wre not taken yesterday Embarassed they are from my stock Pictures.

For a few more images of the quarry follow this link... http://www.proscuba.co.uk/stoney_cove.htm
Back to top Go down
http://proscuba.forumotion.com
hob nobby

Humor : the sillier the better - when will i eva grow up

PostSubject: Re: Stoney Navigation 14.11.10   Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:09 am

Congratulations everyone on the NAV Speciality
and a big 'HOLA' to Jack,
hope you are well mate xxxxx
Back to top Go down
Joolybee

Humor : I laugh every time I look in the mirror!!!

PostSubject: Re: Stoney Navigation 14.11.10   Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:36 pm

Well done to Sammy, Doc and Andy on gaining their certificate

I had an altogether different experience that I think put years on Jason!! He was brill and coped with everYthing that I threw at him!! It started with me having TOO much air in my boots and pretty much ended that way with me almost coming to the surface feet first!! In between that I had trouble with my ears, with the cold, with the p**s poor visability at the barrels (naming no names!!) getting down to 50 bar but not being able to breathe through Jason's Reg to begin with (it's 'cos he got a big gob and his mouthpiece didn't fit in my dainty one ) when we were buddy breathing, to hanging on to the plane for dear life to stop me having an uncontrolled ascent without a safety stop!!

Needless to say in all this NAVIGATION was the last thing on my mind!!

After an emotional moment on dry land I was able to have a good chat with Jason to go through all these points which will all go towards the learning curve.

There were positives!! I did an hours dive (not checked the computer yet) when I was stood on dry land I asked Ange how far we had got and I was gobsmacked to see the distance covered (the far side of the quarry) I am getting much better at getting kit ready and not stressing over that and ...............

IT HAS NOT PUT ME OFF!
Back to top Go down
jason_242
Instructor

Humor : Has its ups and downs...

PostSubject: Re: Stoney Navigation 14.11.10   Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:52 pm

Yeah I'm drawing my PENSION this week Julie Shocked
So stock photo's huh??? chin
Julie it was an interesting dive and your right it was a long way from the bus stop around the edge to the Galleon and then cutting across to the bus stop again.
I'm sure that in time you will master all the skills we threw at you and will be leading dives etc
I too have not been put of wave and will have fond memories and stories to tell when I'm out in the clear waters of the Indian Ocean

All in all a great day and i'm sure you just wanted a hugs
Back to top Go down
Lil_Susannah

Humor : A horse walks into a bar - Ouch!

PostSubject: Re: Stoney Navigation 14.11.10   Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:32 am

Well done everyone:)

Joolybee that sounds like an eventful dive!!! I know the feeling of having too much air in your boots (though I still love my 8foot smirf dry suit). I thought I was going to end up at the surface feet first. But at least it hasn't put you off!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stoney Navigation 14.11.10   

Back to top Go down

Stoney Navigation 14.11.10
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1